Thursday, April 5, 2007

More glamour to the Dubai Tennis Championships with Justine Henin, Maria Sharapova, Martina Hingis and Serena Williams

Hantuchova confirmed for Dubai Duty FreeDubai: Daniela Hantuchova will once again add glamour to the Dubai Tennis Championships when she joins Justine Henin, Maria Sharapova, Martina Hingis and Serena Williams at the grandest tennis extravaganza in the Middle East.The popular 23-year old Slovak is always a threat against any opponent, last season claiming victories over Serena Williams, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Patty Schnyder. But perhaps her best performance was against Maria Sharapova in the Zurich final, when she took the reigning US Open champion to three sets.But there is far more to Hantuchova than tennis. Although you might think she would find it intimidating to compete in huge stadiums, the experience of playing in front of a big crowd is nothing new for her.When she was younger she was as good at playing classical music on the piano as she is now at playing tennis. Like tennis, she had to spend countless hours practising. And like tennis, she eventually had to play in front of lots of people.
Strong challenge"I did some pretty big concerts, and I can tell you I've never, ever been so nervous in my life," she said. "When I was about 13 or 14, a couple of hundred at least would be watching, maybe a thousand. It was scary stuff, but it prepared me well for the tennis circuit so it was good."I really enjoyed playing. It was very difficult time-wise because I had my school in the morning, tennis practice, then piano, then tennis again and then study in the evening. So I was finishing my day at 11, 11.30pm."Every day was like that from eight o'clock in the morning, and I loved it because there wasn't any one second I had some free time."I couldn't understand the kids when they were saying they were so bored. I never knew anything like that."Hantuchova has proved she can excel in whatever she does, and she is certain to offer a strong challenge against anyone she meets in a week of top-class tennis action."Daniela is one of the most delightful people we have welcomed to Dubai, and it is a pleasure to have her amongst us once again," said Colm McLoughlin, Managing Director of tournament organisers Dubai Duty Free."As well as being a top singles player she has twice reached the doubles semifinals here, and her many fans in Dubai will be thrilled to welcome her back."Play begins at the Dubai Tennis Stadium on February 19 with the Dubai Duty Free Women's Open, and continues with the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open on February 26 when Spain's Rafael Nadal defends his title against three-time former champion Roger Federer, charismatic Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis and rising star Novak Djokovic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MARIA HAZ BIG BUMPS